Saturday 2 March 2013

" MY GOOD RIGHT HAND "


I fell into grief, and began to complain ;
I looked for a friend, but I sought him in vain ;
Companions were shy, and acquaintance were cold,
They gave me good counsel, but dreaded their gold,
"Let them go," I exclaimed : " I've a friend at my side,
To lift me, and aid me, whatever betide.
To trust to the world is to build on the sand ;
I'll trust but in Heaven and my good Right Hand."

My courage revived, in my fortune's despite,
And my hand was as strong as my spirit was light ;
It raised me from sorrow, it saved me from pain :
It fed me, and clad me, again and again.
The friends who had left came back every one,
And darkest advisers looked bright as the sun ;
I need them no more, as they all understand, ---
I thank thee, I trust thee, My good Right Hand !

19 comments:

  1. This is my favourite poem since I read it for the first time in my text book of 9th class. The moral of the poem is immortal. I found it very encouraging and inspiring whenever I read it.
    The poetess describes the reaction of the world in a candid way when someone is in trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. want to know the name of the poet. its most likely more than 100 years old poem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why did the poets search for a friend prove to be fruitless

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why did the poets search for a friend prove to be fruitless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to poet a friend proved to be fruitless because the friends never helped him when needed and as we all know a friend in need is always friend indeed

      Delete
    2. Because when the poet was in poverty, he asked his friends for help with money. But, they did not lend money. However, they advised and showed sadness.

      Delete
    3. can you tell me why was the person serching for a freind

      Delete
  6. Please give me arrange explanation

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sir please let me know which term has been used in last line

    ReplyDelete
  8. Please give me the explanation of this poem

    ReplyDelete